Rehab?



















Rehab is not the most popular department in PGH, and I am being kind.  Most students hate it.  At some point, I did.  But quite honestly, I am attracted to the field.  I've been vocal about it, and most, if not all of the people who learned that I am highly considering to train under the department distort their faces in disbelief.  

But I like it.  I like it because in the spectrum of patient care, rehab is in the last phase, where our primary goal is not to make the patient live per se, but to make life a little better.  We make people walk better, talk better, function better.  I find that fulfilling.  And there are just a few rehab doctors in the country.  So why not?

Last week, during one of my OR assists, the consultant and the senior resident asked me what my plans are after internship.  I said I don't have a definite answer yet but I am highly considering Rehab Med, then I stated my reasons.  Well they were surprised (I was not able to see face distortion since we were all wearing masks, hehe)  But Dr. De Vera said it's a smart choice, and it's a good field.  Dr. De Dios then remembered that she has a Rehab book from way back and she promised to give it to me.

Early this week, some of my co-interns informed me that a certain Dr. Lee was looking for me.  I wasn't sure how she looks like, so I said I'm going to approach her if I get the chance during the conference.  And I found her, and she found me.  I've been looking for you since forever!  And guess what, it's because of the Rehab book.

Dr. De Dios instructed Dr. Lee to give me the book.  And that Rehab book is Braddom.  Bunch said the new edition costs 11,000 in Amazon.  Braddom is Rehab Med's Bible.  

Am I lucky or what?  

I will be forever grateful to Dr. De Dios and Dr. Lee.  If ever you read this, I'd like you to know that I will never ever forget this day ever.  I am slowly gazing at the Rehab Med road again.  Oh, the hated, dusty, deserted road.  

Is this a sign?

Comments

taonglangit said…
yey twinx! I'm glad you finally found your niche... :) I'm sure you'll be the best rehab doc ever!

Popular posts from this blog

I'm scared.

My Thoughts

Palawan Adventures: Quezon