First Day of Duty at the ER

Woohoo.

Back to reality, the milder way.  Well, I was on duty at ACU-Extension (the less toxic part of the ER next to the Observation Unit)  as the Ophtha Intern.

I did not have enough sleep the night before, just a total of 3 hours since I had to fetch my tita and accompany her to the airport at 4am.  The good thing was, I was ready to go to PGH at 5 am!  So there, I slept for another hour before going to the hospital.  I was walking in an almost leisurely pace, admiring the jeepneys and buses at Taft while I relish the almost toxic smoke that their 30 year old tambuchos were spouting.  It's gonna be my first duty as an intern.  Red nameplate.  Fixated talaga ako.  

The first person that I actually saw was my friend Bunchessa, with her big, brace-full, happy smile as she said: I'm so happy you're here Annie!  I looked at the ER's big wallclock.  It read 7:06 am.  Sorry, I'm late, Bunch.  Then she said that the clock's not accurate.  She has an important affair to attend and she must leave the stinky ER as soon as possible.  I was just glad I got there on time.

When I entered the ACU-Extension, guess who I saw!  Rhanee and Kuya Alvic together (hehehe).  It was nice to be able to chat with fellow UPRCY members again.  They're still brilliant, witty, no-nonsense seniors I admired way back in college. 

Whole day of duty was oh-so-benign.  Just 2 consults and not even emergent cases.  (1) corneal opacity secondary to firecracker injury 14 years prior to this consult, and (2) a diagnosed viral conjunctivitis prescribed with Tobradex but was not adherent to the medication and made more complicated by the administration of 3 drops of breastmilk on the affected eye.  Hay.  Both patients were sent home after they were seen by one of the nicest Ophtha Residents, Dr. Quito.

The patient-less hours were spent like this:
No lunch.  Not hungry.
Serious talk with a friend.  Sad.
Some phone calls, business and chismis.
Some ophtha reading.
Impending heat stroke because of the malfunctioning ACU-Ext aircon.
Occasional chats with Poy and Arjay (when they're not toxic).
BE-IV, IV Insertion at the SOJR with Sherry.  
Dealing with children's loudest cries.


Then came a referral...nope, not an ophtha referral (I was, for once, benign today!).  So anyway, this intern came in, asked how to refer a patient from _____ to ______ for removal of the ______.  So I guided this intern and while I was doing so, I caught a glimpse of this person's name embroidered on the scrub suit.  I know this person.  We were the only two applicants interviewed at the second floor of Paz Mendoza back when we were applying for a slot at UP College of Medicine. Galing! Quite an ice breaker in the longest ACU-Ext afternoon of my life.  I don't think this person remembers me though.  

Came dinner time.  I went home to take a bath, change scrubs and pants, and eat dinner.  When I came back, the very nice intern from last year's graduating class was already at the ER.  I've thought all the while that she was not going to make-up with me today cause she hasn't shown up the whole day.  So anyway, when I got in the ACU-Ext, the first thing she told me was, Hi Annie, uwi ka na!  Wow.  I was very hesitant to do that because Im afraid I might get in trouble.  But anyway, I trusted that she knows the system more than I do, so I did after interviewing the last intoxicated patient who got hit by a shard of glass at the upper eyelid.

My first ER Duty as an Intern.  Bow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm scared.

My Thoughts

Palawan Adventures: Quezon