OB's Welcome

I was on duty at ward 14b on our first day in OB.  Well, it was unremarkable, really - well,  for most of the day until around midnight when it all poured in.

It started with just 2 IV insertions in 2 tropho patients, got both at first try.  Lucky IV Day :)

Then I came back to find out that I have 3 blood extractions to do.

Then 3 more IV insertions.

Then 6 more.

Then another.

Then 3.

Then grand monitoring.

Then a foley and an NGT insertion.

Then came a referral.  One patient was in respiratory distress and in severe pain due to cancer metastasis.  

And the finishing touch... I got blood all over my pants.  And when I say all over, I mean around 30% of my pants was soaked in blood.  I did not notice that my patient's blood was dripping when I was trying to look for a vein.  The nurse said I look like a bleeding OB patient.  She was so distracted to look at me, she offered to lend me her pants - which I honestly considered, but turned down anyway.  The NA offered me a gown.  And well, a 'bantay' offered me methiolate.  "Akala ko nagkasugat kayo, doktora."    Good thing bunch had a pair which was big enough to fit me.  

I made my last IV insertion 10 minutes before our summary rounds.

Hello OB!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm scared.

My Thoughts

Palawan Adventures: Quezon