Some Fan Phase

I have a confession to make.

I was an Introvoys fan.  I was a Jonathan Buencamino fan.

Back in the 90s, my lola's sister who was an administrator of a school in Bulacan thought that it'd be cool to hold a concert for the students.  Well, being her relatives, we got to watch it for free, and mingle with the then 'superstars'.  He wasn't the popular masa choice then.  Paco Arespacochaga was in demand.  

Jonathan exuded this kind of meekness and, I don't know what else..but when it was time for the cousins to choose their idol amongst the band members, I knew what name to say.  We were kind of territorial then - my idol is no one else's.  I knew who was mine.  No one else wanted him anyway, they were all after Paco.

So anyway, unlike the other students and fans who had to wait outside the gate for an autograph or a picture, we had the privilege to sit with them while they eat or rest and talk a bit.  Jonathan was very nice.  He was accommodating, sincere, and was a good kuya.  I remember him telling his bro, JJ, the band's keyboardist:  Uy, J, magtoothbrush ka na, baka mamaya pasmile-smile ka kasama ng fans mo tapos may tinga ka pa pala".  Would anybody else, of his status at that time, mind about his brother's teeth?  Di ba?  Di ba?  Hay.  

So after the concert, my parents had to buy several magazines, tapes, etc.  I watched Rollerboys in the movie house, on its 2nd day.  I memorized their songs.  No one could talk bad about the Introvoys without hearing my piece about how nice they are and how good they sound live.  Well, I never really remembered putting up posters on my bedroom wall.  No, I don't think I was that obsessed.

By some weird chance, my dad worked with his two aunts.  One was the caterer at the training center, the other was a co-worker at the main office.  When Tita L. (one of the aunts) learned that I used to have a big crush on Jonathan, she said:  "Naku bakit mo gusto yun, eh mukha yung _______".  But he has a pure heart, I thought.  Hehe.  Di talaga natitinag.  I would constantly ask my dad to ask about Jonathan, but I guess he was too shy to do so.  I never really knew where he was, what he's been up to, etc etc.

So, Jonathan, or Introvoys never really had a comeback.  I heard they attempted to do that abroad and even had a series of concerts.  I wonder what happened to him.  Probably he's married, with kids.  I hope health has not been a problem, as most people claim to be the cause of the disband.

I once was a fan.  Can you believe that?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Thoughts

I'm scared.

Palawan Adventures: Quezon